FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 23, 2018
Contact: Mallory Quigley, firstname.lastname@example.org | 703-380-6674
Dannenfelser: “Vulnerable Democratic Senators have betrayed their constituents yet again… and will be held accountable at the ballot box.”
Washington, D.C. – The national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) today slammed vulnerable Democratic Senators who voted against Sen. Rand Paul’s amendment #3967 to the Labor, Health and Human Services Appropriations bill that would have redirected taxpayer funding away from abortion businesses including Planned Parenthood. Key Democrats representing states carried by President Trump who voted against the amendment include: Sens. Doug Jones (AL), Bill Nelson (FL), Joe Donnelly (IN), Claire McCaskill (MO), Heidi Heitkamp (ND), Jon Tester (MT), and Joe Manchin (WV). All but Sen. Jones are up for re-election this November.
“Vulnerable Democratic Senators have betrayed their constituents yet again by voting to fund abortion giant Planned Parenthood, and will be held accountable at the ballot box,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Democrat Senators in states won by President Trump cannot get away with presenting themselves as moderates any longer, and self-proclaimed ‘pro-life’ senators like Donnelly and Manchin should be especially ashamed of caving to the abortion lobby and extremists in their party. They have betrayed their constituents and will be held accountable at the ballot box.”
SBA List’s field team of more than 500 pro-life canvassers has visited more than 1.4 million homes in the battleground states of Indiana, Ohio, Florida, Missouri, North Dakota, West Virginia, and Montana as part of an historic effort to educate and mobilize voters for the 2018 midterm election. SBA List canvassers are on track to reach two million homes by Election Day.
Polling commissioned by SBA List shows that a majority of voters in 2018 Senate battleground states oppose giving tax dollars to Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion business:
- 56% of voters in select Senate battleground states oppose taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood (47% strongly oppose)
- 60% would be less likely to vote for their U.S. Senator if he or she voted to give money to Planned Parenthood instead of community health centers that provide comprehensive women’s healthcare (44% “much less likely”)
Opposition to Planned Parenthood tax funding is high among voters in states with incumbent Democrat Senators facing re-election:
- N. Dakota – 70% oppose, 77% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Montana – 61% oppose, 64% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Ohio – 57% oppose, 60% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Missouri – 54% oppose, 57% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Wisconsin – 51% oppose, 58% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Florida – 48% oppose, 53% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
Research shows that Planned Parenthood controls 35 percent of the national abortion market – more than 321,000 abortions every year – and is not a significant provider of medical care in the United States. They face federal investigation for their role in the trafficking of aborted babies’ body parts. Furthermore, community health care alternatives outnumber Planned Parenthood facilities at least 20 to one nationwide.
Susan B. Anthony List and its partner super PAC, Women Speak Out spent more than $18 million in the 2016 election cycle, visiting more than 1.1 million homes in battleground states to defeat Hillary Clinton and maintain a pro-life Senate. SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. SBA List is a network of more than 630,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.