FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 22, 2013
Contact: Mallory Quigley, 202-223-8073
Senators Fischer, Lee, Rubio, Vitter & Wicker Take the Lead to Defend Life & Conscience
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today the Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) urged the Senate to pass a series of popular pro-life amendments filed by Senators Deb Fischer (R-NE), Mike Lee (R-UT), Marco Rubio (R-FL), David Vitter (R-LA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS). The amendments may be considered in the Budget Resolution as part of the “Vote-a-Rama.”
“The Senate has a critical opportunity today to vote in favor of common-ground measures supported by popular opinion,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Across the country, Americans overwhelmingly support parental rights, ending taxpayer funding of abortion at home and abroad, stopping sex-selection abortion of baby girls, and protecting babies capable of feeling pain prenatally. We urge all Senators to stand with their constituents and defy the pro-abortion lobby in supporting these sensible amendments.”
- Senator Fischer’s Conscience Protection Amendment – “Side-by-side” amendment to protect conscience rights of taxpayers and health care workers consistent with the First Amendment, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and the Hyde Amendment. Polling routinely shows that more than 60 percent of Americans oppose the use of taxpayer dollars for abortion. Polling also shows that 77 percent of Americans believe it is important that health care professionals not be forced to participate in procedures or practices to which they have moral objections.
- Senator Lee’s District of Columbia Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act – Limit abortion in the District of Columbia past 20 weeks of gestation, the point at which science shows the unborn child is capable of feeling pain. Currently abortion is legal in the nation’s capital for any reason, through all nine months of pregnancy. Polling commissioned by the National Right to Life Committee found that 63 percent of Americans (70 percent of women) support legislation to end post-fetal pain abortions.
- Senator Rubio’s Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act – Prohibit the transportation of minors across state lines for abortion in order to evade parental involvement laws. Gallup polling has found that 71 percent of Americans support parents’ right to give or refuse consent to their minor daughter’s abortion. No violation of this right is more egregious than for a third party to evade laws in a family’s home state by clandestinely transporting a minor across a state line for a secretive abortion.
- Senator Vitter’s Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act – Ban sex-selection abortions in the United States. Sex-selection abortion is a lethal form of sex-discrimination, most often carried out against girl children. Recent polling from the Charlotte Lozier Institute found that 77 percent of Americans (80 percent of women) support banning sex-selective abortion.
- Senator Wicker’s Amendment to Defund UNFPA – Stop all U.S. taxpayer dollars to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), which helps implement and enforce China’s coercive family planning program, including forced abortion and sterilization. Instead, $25 million would be sent annually to the President’s Malaria Initiative. Gallup polling has found that a mere 35 percent of Americans agree with President Obama’s decision to resume sending U.S. taxpayer dollars overseas to fund abortion after President Bush ended the policy.
The Susan B. Anthony List and its affiliated Political Action Committees, the SBA List Candidate Fund and Women Speak Out PAC, are dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women at all levels of government. The SBA List is a network of more than 365,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.