|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 24, 2019
|CONTACT: Nicole Stacy
Radical Legislation Would Expand Abortion on Demand Through Birth, Endanger Women’s Health & Safety
Washington, D.C. – Today the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) slammed Illinois lawmakers for pushing legislation to expand abortion on demand through birth, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, and more.
Ahead of an anticipated floor vote on the Parental Notice of Abortion Repeal and the Late-Term Abortion No Restrictions Bill, which have been stalled in the legislature, SBA List mobilized its Illinois grassroots members to contact their representatives to oppose the two bills.
“While a bipartisan group of courageous lawmakers in states like Rhode Island and New Mexico has rejected abortion extremism, Illinois’ abortion lobby is spending the last days of the session trying to ram through a radical expansion of abortion on demand through birth,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Since Illinois expanded taxpayer funding of abortion, the state has experienced a stunning 1,758 percent increase in abortions paid for by taxpayers. This legislation not only endangers innocent lives, it would strip basic protections for women’s health and safety, force doctors and nurses to participate in abortions, and even remove transparent reporting that allows taxpayers to hold their lawmakers accountable. We urge Assembly leadership to listen to constituents and stand against this outrageous attempt to legislate extremism.”
Together the Parental Notice of Abortion Repeal and Late-Term Abortion No Restrictions Bill would:
- Create a “fundamental right” to abortion on demand through the moment of birth, for any reason or no reason at all;
- End parental notification requirements when an underage girl seeks an abortion;
- Remove licensing requirements for abortion facilities;
- Allow non-doctors to perform abortions and allow abortion drugs to be obtained without a prescription;
- Force all private health insurance plans to cover abortion on demand without any limits, copays or cost-sharing of any kind;
- Expressly declare that the unborn child has no rights;
- Remove conscience protections for pro-life doctors, nurses, and hospitals; and
- Eliminate the requirement that abortion data, including the number of abortions done on out-of-state women or underage girls, be reported publicly.
SBA List is a network of more than 700,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.