FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 18, 2021
Contact: Prudence Robertson, firstname.lastname@example.org | 240-672-2828
Becerra is the Embodiment of Biden-Harris Pro-Abortion Agenda, Enemy of the Pro-life Movement
Washington, D.C. – The national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List issued the following comment in response to the confirmation of Xavier Becerra as Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
“The Biden-Harris administration has dropped all semblance of the ‘unity’ they once promised,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “To carry out the Administration’s extreme abortion goals, Senate Democrats have pushed through Xavier Becerra to lead the federal agency at the center of determining abortion policy. The agenda he promises to champion is deeply out of step with public opinion.
“Becerra is infamous in the pro-life movement, well known for his record of attacking pro-life policies protecting unborn life, as well as assaulting the conscience rights of pro-life Americans. President Biden could not have picked a more eager and enthusiastic partner to destroy pro-life policy and expand abortion on demand.”
SBA List opposed Becerra’s nomination when it was announced in December. Since then, the group has worked to expose his record on abortion which is detailed at https://www.sba-list.org/becerra and includes:
- Voting against the ban on partial-birth abortion.
- Forcing taxpayers to pay for abortion on demand and bankroll the abortion industry.
- Coercing the Little Sisters of the Poor and people of faith to be complicit in abortion coverage.
- Taking pro-life pregnancy care centers to court.
- Prosecuting pro-life citizen journalists who uncovered Planned Parenthood’s buying and selling of baby body parts.
Last month, SBA List led a coalition of more than 60 national and state pro-life leaders in a letter urging U.S. senators to reject Becerra’s nomination and organized thousands of constituent phone calls to key senators. SBA List also scored the U.S. Senate vote on Becerra’s confirmation.
As Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and congressional Democrats continue to push their radical abortion agenda, SBA List remains vigilant against efforts to:
- Appoint and confirm eager pro-abortion advocates like Xavier Becerra and Shalanda Young to key cabinet positions.
- Pass the deceptively named “Equality Act,” a Trojan horse for massive expansion of abortion.
- Ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, which would enshrine a so-called “right” to abortion in the U.S. Constitution.
- Federalize election laws by passing H.R. 1, which directly targets our mission to elect pro-life leaders and pass pro-life laws.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.