FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 5, 2017
Contact: Mallory Quigley, email@example.com 202-223-8073
A Potential Pitfall for Vulnerable Democrat Incumbents in States Won by Trump
Washington, D.C. – A new poll released today by Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) finds that a majority of voters in 2018 Senate battleground states oppose giving tax dollars to Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider, instead of comprehensive healthcare providers. A majority in North Dakota, Montana, Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Florida also said they would be less likely to vote for Senators who vote to keep sending tax dollars to the abortion giant.
President-elect Donald Trump has committed to reallocating Planned Parenthood’s taxpayer funding to comprehensive, whole-woman health care centers. These health care clinics outnumber Planned Parenthood 20 to 1 nationwide and provide the same preventative services Planned Parenthood claims to offer, but do not do abortions. These community health centers also offer services Planned Parenthood does not, such as mammograms, treatment for diabetes, hypertension and arthritis.
the polling company, inc./WomanTrend conducted the survey of 1650 voters November 28-30, 2016, at a Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI) facility using live callers. The poll found that:
- 56% of voters in select Senate battleground states oppose taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider (47% strongly oppose)
- 60% would be less likely to vote for their U.S. Senator if he or she voted to give money to Planned Parenthood instead of community health centers that provide comprehensive women’s healthcare (44% “much less likely”)
Opposition to Planned Parenthood tax funding is high among voters in states with incumbent Democrat Senators facing re-election, but that voted for Mr. Trump in the presidential election:
- N. Dakota – 70% oppose, 77% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Montana – 61% oppose, 64% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Ohio – 57% oppose, 60% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Missouri – 54% oppose, 57% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Wisconsin – 51% oppose, 58% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
- Florida – 48% oppose, 53% less likely to support Senator who votes in support of Planned Parenthood
“Voters agree: taxpayer dollars would be better spent on community and rural health centers that provide comprehensive, whole-woman care, not abortion businesses like Planned Parenthood,” said SBA List’s President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Pro-life voters who were key to victory on election night are eager to see a pro-life White House and Congress address the injustice of taxpayer funding for the abortion industry. Abortion giants like Planned Parenthood do not need or deserve taxpayer dollars. We urge Congress and especially Democrats to listen to their constituents and send President Trump a reconciliation bill that funds real women’s health programs, not Planned Parenthood.”
Susan B. Anthony List and its connected super PAC, Women Speak Out spent more than $18 million in the 2016 election cycle, knocking on more than 1.1 million doors in battleground states to defeat Hillary Clinton and maintain a pro-life Senate. SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 465,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.