FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 10, 2018
Contact: Mallory Quigley, email@example.com | 202-223-8073
Voters Support Trump’s Nominee and Want States, Not the Supreme Court, to Make Abortion Policy
Washington, D.C. – A new poll released today by Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) finds that a majority of voters in Senate battleground states want President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee confirmed and also want abortion policy to be decided by the people through their elected representatives, not the Supreme Court.
The polling will be cited by SBA List spokeswomen at press conferences happening outside the local offices of Sens. Joe Donnelly, Joe Manchin, and Heidi Heitkamp this morning. Pro-life activists will call on the Senators to vote to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
The Tarrance Group conducted the survey of 400-500 registered voters per state, using both automated phone polling as well as live phone calls to landlines and cell phones. The poll found that:
- Voters want their Senators to confirm President Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee:
- 56% of Florida voters want Nelson to confirm the nominee.
- 56% of Indiana voters want Donnelly to confirm the nominee.
- 57% of Missouri voters want McCaskill to confirm the nominee.
- 68% of North Dakota voters want Heitkamp to confirm the nominee.
- 59% of West Virginia voters want Manchin to confirm the nominee.
- Majorities in all five states agree abortion policy should be decided by the people of the state through their elected officials, not the Supreme Court:
- 54% of Florida voters want abortion policy decided by the people through the legislature.
- 65% of Indiana voters want abortion policy decided by the people through the legislature.
- 57% of Missouri voters want abortion policy decided by the people through the legislature.
- 67% of North Dakota voters want abortion policy decided by the people through the legislature.
- 57% of West Virginia voters want abortion policy decided by the people through the legislature.
“Voters agree their senators must vote to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court,” said Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Kavanaugh is an outstanding choice to replace Justice Kennedy and fulfills President Trump’s promise to nominate only originalist judges who respect the Constitution. Battleground state voters who elected President Trump by overwhelming margins trust him to make this nomination. They are eager to see Kavanaugh confirmed and the power to legislate abortion restored to the American people, not activist courts.
“SBA List is mobilizing the pro-life grassroots nationwide and in key Senate battleground states to urge the Senate to swiftly confirm Judge Kavanaugh. Vulnerable Senate Democrats up for re-election this year have a choice: stand with the President and their constituents and confirm a Supreme Court justice who will respect and uphold the Constitution, or cave to pressure from the extreme abortion lobby.”
Activists nationwide are mobilizing online at prolifecourt.com to send messages to their U.S. senators. The campaign, coordinated by SBA List, includes email and phone call campaigns to offices, in-state events targeting key senators, a digital advertising campaign, radio and more.
SBA List’s field team of nearly 500 pro-life canvassers has visited more than one million homes in the battleground states of Indiana, Ohio, Florida, and Missouri and has expanded to North Dakota and West Virginia as part of an historic effort to educate and mobilize voters for the 2018 midterm election. SBA List canvassers are on track to reach two million homes by Election Day.
Susan B. Anthony List and its partner super PAC, Women Speak Out spent more than $18 million in the 2016 election cycle, visiting more than 1.1 million homes in battleground states to defeat Hillary Clinton and maintain a pro-life Senate. SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. SBA List is a network of more than 630,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.