FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 10, 2013
Contact: Mallory Quigley, 202-223-8073
New Gallup Survey Details Views on Abortion in Light of Gosnell
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today Gallup released new polling information detailing Americans views on abortion in light of the trial of Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell. Key findings include:
- 58 percent of Americans believe abortion should be illegal in all or most cases.
- 59 percent of Independents and 43 percent of Democrats believe abortion should be illegal in all or most circumstances.
- Americans ages 18-34 are more likely than any other age group to say abortion should be illegal under all circumstances.
- Gallup notes that “One of the clearest messages from Gallup trends is that Americans oppose late-term abortion,” noting that a January 2013 poll shows “80 percent of Americans reject abortion in the 3rd trimester, and 64 percent in the second trimester.”
- Only one quarter of Americans say they have been following the Gosnell case either very closely or somewhat closely.
- 46 percent of those following the case say the media has not devoted enough coverage to it.
“Gallup asks whether views would shift if more Americans were aware of the Gosnell trial,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, President of SBA List. “The answer is unequivocally yes. There has been no shortage of recent evidence exposing the abortion industry for negligence and brutality. Kermit Gosnell is only a pull on the thread of the sweater.”
“These numbers once again make it clear that Americans overwhelmingly oppose late-term abortions,” continued Dannenfelser. “The law should follow this instinctive resistance to such a dehumanizing and degrading practice. As the country’s attention is turned to this issue, we hope to see Congress address the multi-state breakdown of oversight in the abortion industry as well as the barbarism of abortions performed on children capable of feeling pain and surviving outside the womb.”
The SBA List has compiled an initial fact sheet on abortion industry negligence and brutality occurring nationwide.
The Susan B. Anthony List, and its affiliated Political Action Committees, the SBA List Candidate Fund and Women Speak Out PAC, are dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 365,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.