FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 2, 2018
Contact: Mallory Quigley, email@example.com 202-223-8073
Washington, D.C. – The national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) reviewed Planned Parenthood’s latest annual report and found that, despite reporting more than 320,000 abortions and $1.46 billion in income, Planned Parenthood has seen large declines in non-abortion services, massive losses of clientele, and rapid facility closures in recent years.
“Planned Parenthood’s business model is sinking faster than the Titanic,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Despite record income, non-abortion services are in decline, clients are abandoning them in droves, and dozens of facilities have closed. Meanwhile, abortions are holding steady at over 320,000 a year. Yet this report barely scratches the surface of the abortion giant’s troubles as it faces federal investigation for its role in the grotesque harvest and sale of aborted babies’ body parts for profit. Enough is enough. Community health centers vastly outnumber Planned Parenthood facilities nationwide and offer comprehensive primary and preventative care for women and families. Congress must follow through on the promise to redirect tax dollars away from Planned Parenthood without further delay.”
According to the last five years of data from Planned Parenthood’s own annual reports:
- Total services are down nearly 13%.
- Prenatal care has dropped by more than 60%.
- Total cancer screening and prevention services have dropped by more than 41%, including declines of approximately 39% for breast exams and 43% for pap tests.
- Contraceptive services are down nearly 28%.
- Abortions have remained stable. Planned Parenthood performed 321,384 abortions in 2016-2017 and has performed more than 1.6 million abortions in the past five years.
- Planned Parenthood performed approximately 126 abortions (1,628,550) for every adoption referral (12,879) over that same period.
- Unique patients have dropped by 600,000 – a 20% decline.
- Approximately 100 (14%) of Planned Parenthood facilities have closed their doors, despite record income.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest abortion business with more than 35 percent of the national market for abortions. It is not a significant provider of medical care in the United States.
President Trump has made four specific commitments to the pro-life movement, including reallocating Planned Parenthood’s taxpayer funding to comprehensive, whole-woman health care centers.
Susan B. Anthony List and its partner super PAC, Women Speak Out, spent more than $18 million in the 2016 election cycle, knocking on more than 1.1 million doors in battleground states to defeat Hillary Clinton and maintain a pro-life Senate. SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 600,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.