FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 29, 2016
Contact: Mallory Quigley, firstname.lastname@example.org 202-223-8073
Dannenfelser: “Kaine’s charade on abortion is getting old, and he’s only been on the ticket for a few days.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. – This morning Sen. Tim Kaine told CNN he supports the Hyde Amendment and his position has not changed. This contradicts Clinton’s campaign manager who told CNN that Kaine supports repealing Hyde and backs Clinton’s abortion agenda “100%.”
“The attempt at deception continues,” said Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Hillary Clinton’s plan to repeal Hyde is profoundly unpopular – even among Democrats. That’s why Tim Kaine has flipped his position on taxpayer funding of abortion five times in the last month. Voters should not be fooled. We know how he would vote on this issue if it comes to a tie in the U.S. Senate. He will not stand up for the conscience rights of taxpayers. Kaine’s charade on abortion is getting old and he’s only been on the ticket for a few days.”
Timeline of Tim Kaine’s Position on Forcing Taxpayers to Fund Abortion On-Demand
- July 6 – Kaine for Hyde Amendment, but says he will need to see DNC platform language calling for repeal: “I have traditionally been a supporter of the Hyde amendment, but I’ll check it out.” (TWS)
- July 24: Clinton campaign manager says Kaine supports Hyde repeal, 100% behind Clinton abortion agenda: “He has said that he will stand with Secretary Clinton to defend a woman’s right to choose, to repeal the Hyde amendment. So, you know, voters can be 100 percent confident that Tim Kaine is going to fight to protect a woman’s right to choose.” (CNN)
- July 26: Clinton spokesman says Kaine made “private” commitment of Hyde repeal to Clinton: “Clinton spokesman @JesseFFerguson tells me @TimKaine’s commitment to stand w/ Hillary on repealing the Hyde amendment ‘was made privately.’” (CNN)
- July 26: Clinton spokesperson says Kaine personally opposed to repealing Hyde, but supports Clinton repealing: “The senator is not personally for repeal of the Hyde Amendment. But as he’s made clear, he is committed to carrying out Secretary Clinton’s agenda.” (WSJ)
- July 29: Kaine tells CNN he supports Hyde Amendment, has not changed position: “I have been for the Hyde amendment. I haven’t changed my position on that.” (CNN)
A new Marist poll released Monday found that a majority of Americans (62 percent) oppose taxpayer funding of abortion including 45 percent of those who say they are “pro-choice” and 44 percent of Democrats. According to Gallup, one-third of Democrats identify themselves as pro-life.
The call to repeal Hyde contradicts the position previously taken by several Democratic Senators, including Bob Casey, Joe Donnelly, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Manchin, who have all previously said they oppose forcing taxpayers to fund abortion.
Susan B. Anthony List and its Political Action Committees, the SBA List Candidate Fund and Women Speak Out PAC, spent $15.25 million in the 2014 election cycle to defeat pro-abortion incumbents and elect pro-life candidates to federal and statewide office. The SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 465,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.