FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 30, 2020
Contact: Prudence Robertson, email@example.com, 240-672-2828
Mariannette Miller-Meeks Victory in Iowa Adds to Record Surge of Pro-Life Women Elected to Congress
Washington, D.C. – Today the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) celebrated the victory of Mariannette Miller-Meeks as her race was certified in Iowa’s 2nd congressional district. Miller-Meeks is the 18th new pro-life woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives this year, joining 11 returning incumbents.
Of the 18 newly-elected women, ten have flipped seats formerly held by pro-abortion Democrats.
“A record 29 pro-life women will serve in the House of Representatives in the next Congress: continued proof that life is winning in America,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “These pro-life champions will serve as a brick wall against the radical pro-abortion agenda of Speaker Pelosi and pro-abortion Democrats dead set on taking out even modest protections for pro-life Americans such as the Hyde Amendment and similar legacy riders.
“The exponential growth of pro-life women in the House is reflective of the fact that life has gone from being viewed as a political problem to a winning issue. These women have already done important work to expose the extremism of their radical pro-abortion opponents and we look forward to working alongside them to depend lifesaving law and policy in Congress.”
A full breakdown of pro-life women victories and races yet to be called follows:
- Hon. Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) won election
- Sens. Joni Ernst (R-IA), Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), and Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) won re-election
- Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) advances to a runoff to take place January 5, 2021
- Six pro-life women will serve in the U.S. Senate next Congress, seven if Sen. Loeffler wins the runoff
- All 11 pro-life women incumbents have won re-election
- 18 new pro-life women elected to the House with one race still to be called:
- Maria Salazar (FL-27) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Yvette Herrell (NM-02) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Michelle Fischbach (MN-07) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Nancy Mace (SC-01) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Stephanie Bice (OK-05) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Ashley Hinson (IA-01) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Nicole Malliotakis (NY-11) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Michelle Steel (CA-48) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Young Kim (CA-39) – flipped Democrat-held seat
- Mariannette Miller-Meeks (IA-02) – flipped Democrat held seat
- Lauren Boebert (CO-03)
- Beth Van Duyne (TX-24)
- Victoria Spartz (IN-05)
- Lisa McClain (MI-10)
- Kat Cammack (FL-03)
- Diana Harshbarger (TN-01)
- Mary Miller (IL-15)
- Marjorie Taylor Greene (GA-14)
- 1 race featuring a pro-life woman yet to be called:
- Claudia Tenney (NY-22)
Earlier this month SBA List’s partner Women Speak Out PAC (WSO PAC) announced details of its independent expenditure campaign to elect pro-life Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue in Georgia. The $4.1 million multi-channel effort will include voter mail, digital ads, voter calls and texts, and door-to-door canvassing. The group will contact one million voters ahead of election day including in-person visits to voters at their doors.
The groups’ Georgia efforts are an expansion of their overall $52 million campaign for the 2020 cycle. The biggest election effort in the organizations’ history reached more than eight million voters across 10 key battleground states: Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. Details of the campaign in each can be found in SBA List’s 2020 Election HQ.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.