FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 28, 2021
Contact: Prudence Robertson, firstname.lastname@example.org
House GOP United in Fighting to Save Longstanding Pro-life Hyde Protections
Washington, D.C. – Today Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives voted to eliminate longstanding pro-life provisions from the State and Foreign Operations FY-2022 budget. Unless blocked by the Senate, this move would force U.S. taxpayers to fund abortions internationally and funnel money to the abortion industry overseas. Pro-abortion Democrats’ actions include:
- Eliminating the Helms Amendment, which stops international aid from funding abortion on demand as a method of “family planning,” from global health programs.
- Gutting the Kemp-Kasten Amendment, which stops U.S. dollars from funding organizations that support or participate in coercive abortion or involuntary sterilization.
- More than doubling funds for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), which has actively partnered with some of the worst human rights abusers in the world, like China and North Korea.
- Massively increasing the funding stream that underwrites the international abortion industry (Planned Parenthood and Marie Stopes International).
- Funding abortion on demand in the Peace Corps.
Every Republican voted against these extreme, pro-abortion spending bills. The national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) blasted Democrats’ ideologically driven spending bills in a statement:
“For decades, the Hyde family of policies has protected unborn children and their mothers and kept taxpayers out of the abortion business, with the original Hyde Amendment saving nearly 2.5 million lives,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “Joe Biden himself once supported common ground pro-life protections, as the strong majority of Americans do– yet Biden-Pelosi Democrats are scrapping this longstanding bipartisan consensus to pander to the global abortion lobby. Abortion is violence against the most vulnerable, not ‘family planning.’ Americans should never be forced to subsidize abortion on demand through birth at home, to be complicit in human rights abuses overseas, or to export abortion extremism around the globe.
“We thank our pro-life allies in Congress, whose unity stands in contrast to Biden’s empty promises, as they fight to save innocent lives. These bills are far too extreme to pass the Senate and are a political liability for pro-abortion Democrats.”
Pro-life Republicans in the House and Senate have united around the Hyde Amendment, including joining SBA List and leaders on and off Capitol Hill on social media to highlight that #HydeSavesLives. Additionally, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Roger Wicker (D-MS) recently sent a bipartisan letter to Senate appropriators urging them to preserve Hyde.
In June SBA List launched a six-figure digital ad campaign targeting two vulnerable U.S. senators and six U.S. House members in competitive districts to expose their pro-abortion extremism.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.