FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 7, 2011
Contact: Mallory Quigley, (202) 223-8073
Testimony Would Back Concerns of House Investigation
Washington, D.C. – This week, seven former employees of affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, which is under congressional investigation for possible misuse of taxpayer funds, sent a letter to Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Ranking Member Henry Waxman (D-CA) of the House Energy and Commerce Committee encouraging them and subcommittee chair Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL) in the investigation and offering their public testimony against their former employer.
In the letter, circulated to Members of Congress by the Susan B. Anthony List, the employees reveal “from personal experience…that abortion is indeed deployed as a means of family planning” in violation of federal law, and that “one or more of us have personally witnessed and can testify to the validity of specific concerns raised by subcommittee chairman Cliff Stearns (R-FL).”
“The word about Planned Parenthood’s abuses is getting out,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “In state after state, Planned Parenthood is engaged in financial malfeasance, exposing teenagers to harm, exploiting women and killing the unborn, all with the aid of millions in taxpayer dollars. These brave former employees know this must stop.”
The letter continues:
We have written, spoken about and/or are prepared to testify to incidents we have witnessed in which an employee or affiliate of PPFA failed to:
- Properly account for and maintain separation between government funds prohibited from use for elective abortions and those funds derived from other sources that are not subject to such limitations;
- Notify parents when a vulnerable girl is seeking an abortion, including instances when the minor girl is the victim of an act of statutory rape under applicable state law;
- Provide a woman undergoing an abortion with accurate and relevant information regarding the stage of her pregnancy, including the opportunity to view ultrasound imagery that may have had a profound impact on her decision whether or not to undergo an abortion;
- Detect and act upon instances where a girl or woman was brought to the clinic under some degree of coercion, up to and including instances where the girl or woman was subjected to human trafficking and was a victim of crime;
- Engage in appropriate financial controls and billing practices to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
Signers include: Catherine Adair, former employee of Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts; Dr. Patti Giebink, former abortion doctor at Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota; Abby Johnson, former clinic director of Planned Parenthood Center for Choice in Bryan, TX; Luis Maldonado, former clinic assistant at Planned Parenthood Mar Monte in San Jose, CA; Sue Thayer, former clinic manager of Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa / Planned Parenthood of the Heartland; Ramona Trevino, former clinic manager of Planned Parenthood of North Texas; and Patricia Sandoval, former clinic employee of Planned Parenthood Mar Monte in Sacramento, CA.
The Susan B. Anthony List is a nationwide network of more than 330,000 Americans dedicated to mobilizing, advancing, and representing pro-life women in politics. Its connected Candidate Fund increases the percentage of pro-life women in the political process.