Bill Status: Awaiting Vote in U.S. House of Representatives
Bill History: VETOED by President Obama – January 8, 2016
The Budget Reconciliation bill allows Congress to redirect mandatory spending, mainly Medicaid reimbursements, away from Planned Parenthood to federally qualified health care providers that provide comprehensive healthcare, but do not provide abortion.
Although this bill does not defund Planned Parenthood of all federal taxpayer dollars, the budget reconciliation process allows Congress to bypass the legislative filibuster, giving it a clear path to remove over 80%, or approximately $400 million, of Planned Parenthood’s federal taxpayer funding for one year.1
Planned Parenthood performs 329,000 abortions annually and does not deserve taxpayer funding. Tax dollars would be put to much better use at local community health centers, which provide considerably more health services than Planned Parenthood does, but are not the national leader in taking the lives of unborn children and callously harvesting their body parts for money.
Click here to view the SBA List Support Letter.
In 2015, forensically certified undercover videos filmed by the Center for Medical Progress revealed that Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion business, engaged in unethical and possibly illegal practices connected to the trafficking of unborn children’s organs for profit.
In response to these videos, Congress voted on several pieces of legislation to defund the abortion giant, Planned Parenthood. The only bill that made it to President Obama’s desk was H.R. 3762, Restoring Americans’ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act. If signed, this bill would have repealed the majority of Obamacare and diverted mandatory spending dollars away from Planned Parenthood to federally qualified health providers which do not provide abortion.
By putting this bill on President Obama’s desk and forcing him to veto the legislation, Congress proved its ability to defund Planned Parenthood and showed the American people that all they needed was a pro-life President who will sign the legislation and make defunding Planned Parenthood a reality.
During the 2016 election season, then-candidate Donald Trump committed to pro-life Americans that he would defund Planned Parenthood.2 Now, the FY17 Budget Reconciliation bill will be the vehicle for Congress and President-Elect Trump to fulfill their commitments.
While the process of using Budget Reconciliation is elaborate, it is clear that this is the only way that will ensure that defenders of Planned Parenthood cannot use the legislative filibuster to protect funding for America’s largest abortion provider.
- Planned Parenthood and other abortion businesses do not deserve taxpayer funding. They should divest themselves of abortion or self-fund.
- Undercover videos show that Planned Parenthood has been engaged in unethical and possibly illegal medical and financial practices connected to the trafficking of unborn children’s organs.
- Planned Parenthood affiliates have been referred to the FBI and the Attorney General for criminal investigation by the Senate Judiciary Committee and the House Select Panel on Infant Lives; Planned Parenthood is unworthy of receiving taxpayer money.
- Planned Parenthood affiliates have been identified by auditors and investigators as the source of at least $12.8 million in waste, abuse, and potentially fraudulent Medicaid overbilling and penalties.3
- Taxpayer funding accounts for 43% of Planned Parenthood’s overall revenue.4
- Planned Parenthood performs over 300,000 abortions annually.5
- There are approximately 20 times more community health centers (13,540) nationwide than there are Planned Parenthood centers (about 700).
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) alone served 24.3 million individuals last year,6 nearly 10 times more individuals than were served by Planned Parenthood centers (2.5 million).4
- Charlotte Lozier Institute. (2016, February 5) Fact Sheet: Government Funding Sources for Planned Parenthood. Retrieved from: https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-government-funding-sources-for-planned-parenthood/
- Susan B. Anthony List (2016, September) Donald Trump Letter to Pro-Life Leaders. Retrieved from: https://www.sba-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Trump-Letter-on-ProLife-Coalition.pdf
- Glenn Foster, Catherine. Profit. No Matter What. Retrieved from: https://lozierinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/plannedparenthood-profit-no-matter-what.pdf
- Planned Parenthood (2015) 2014-2015 Annual Report. Retrieved from: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/2114/5089/0863/2014-2015_PPFA_Annual_Report_.pdf
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources & Services Administration. (2015). 2015 Health Center Data. Retrieved from: https://bphc.hrsa.gov/uds/datacenter.aspx?q=tall&year=2015&state