Susan B. Anthony List, Inc. (SBA List) was founded in 1992 primarily to fund pro-life candidates and engage the grassroots in lobbying Congress on pro-life issues. Our programs have now expanded to include a robust canvassing program to educate voters and win elections in states across the nation as well as legislative efforts at both the federal and state levels. In the past election cycle (2017-2018), SBA List raised and spent $28 Million.
SBA List is the leading pro-life political organization in the country. Headquartered in the Shirlington neighborhood of Arlington, VA, it is a growing organization of 40-plus full time employees. Our mission is to end abortion in the United States by election national and state leaders advocating for laws that save lives with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.
Position Overview and Objectives
The Advisor to the President for Donor Relations will be responsible for a raising support from a caseload of SBA List donors and prospects and be able to effectively communicate annual pro-life political, policy and research goals of the organization to top political and SBA List donors throughout the country. The role will be responsible for building strong relationships with current and prospective donors, soliciting and closing major gifts with donors effectively, and stewarding donors to renew and increase support in future years. Responsibilities require traveling at least 50% of the time, and working from SBA List’s main office in Arlington, VA.
- Design and implement strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward new and current donors in order to grow the major gift portfolio.
- Meet both fundraising and relationship-building goals by managing a portfolio of up to 100 donors and prospects capable of making an annual gift of at least $10,000.
- Gather, record and properly classify information related to prospects and donors in a timely manner in the SBA List database.
- Work closely with the VP of Member Relations to identify and cultivate top political prospects likely to support the largest pro-life grassroots field team in the country.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge and be able to communicate SBA List political, policy and research priorities and funding opportunities of the organization.
- Utilize SBA List staff to participate in joint visits in their areas of expertise.
- Communicate with donors through personal visits, telephone calls, emails and correspondence.
- Provide input on department projects and strategies to increase income.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
- 3 years of fundraising or related experience
- Excellent skills in Word; database experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills; highly developed verbal and written skills; ability to make presentations;
- High degree of knowledge of public policy issues and pro-life movement is preferred;
- Strong knowledge of fundraising;
- Ability to travel.
Opportunity and Value for the Right Candidate
- Work and grow professionally within the most effective pro-life grassroots political organization in the country
- Donor Management
SBA List has experienced tremendous growth over the last 10 years and we are on track for even more growth in the coming years as we expand our programs and impact. The SBA List team is determined, flexible, and gritty. Our employees are experts in their fields, hard workers, and are incredibly dedicated to ending abortion. They are team oriented with a sacrificial mindset to help one another in our shared mission. We leverage every available opportunity to make advances for the unborn and their mothers.
Benefits of Working at Our Office
- Ample free parking
- Brand new bright office space with a kitchen/lounge area and shared treadmill desk space available for employees’ use.
- This position will have a private office.
- Very close to the Shirlington bus hub for connections to public transportation.
- Located close to Interstates 395 and 95, convenient to the Northern Virginia region, reverse commute from DC.
The Advisor to the President for Donor Relations is a full-time position in the Northern Virginia office. Competitive compensation package offered based on salary history of candidate. Please send resume, cover letter and pro-life statement to Jackie Sheehan at Jsheehan@sbalist.org.