FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 6, 2016
Contact: Mallory Quigley, email@example.com 202-223-8073
Group’s Annual Report shows that, Despite Increase in Taxpayer Funding, Non-Abortion Services have Dropped Dramatically
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today the U.S. House will vote to send a reconciliation bill that defunds Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider, to President Obama’s desk.
Ahead of the vote, the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List) released a new fact sheet detailing the dramatic decline in Planned Parenthood’s non-abortion services, despite the fact that taxpayer funding for the group is up nearly 5 percent from the previous fiscal year. The report is based on Planned Parenthood’s latest 2014-2015 annual report, quietly released over the holiday.
- Cancer screening and prevention services dropped by 27% in just one year, and by 57% since 2010.
- Contraceptive services dropped by nearly 18% in just one year, and are down 20% since 2010.
- STI/STD prevention and treatment services are down nearly 6%, and “other services” are down by 27% over one year.
- Overall, total services dropped by nearly 11% in just one year, and are down 14% since 2010. Unique patients dropped by 200,000 in one year, and by 500,000 since 2010, nearly a 17% drop.
- Planned Parenthood performed 323,999 abortions, a slight 1% decrease over the previous year (327,653).
- Over the past three reported years (2012-2014), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (978,818).
Examining the report, SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser made the following comments:
“Today the House will send a bill to President Obama’s desk that redirects Planned Parenthood’s nearly $554 million in taxpayer funding per year to comprehensive health care centers that do not promote abortion on-demand. Their latest annual report is proof this public policy change is well-warranted. Despite a five percent increase in taxpayer funding, Planned Parenthood’s cancer screenings, contraceptive services, and STD testing have dropped dramatically in the last year.
“This profit-driven, abortion-centered business is a bad investment for taxpayers, period. Only abortions did not see a dramatic drop,” Dannenfelser continued. We urge President Obama to, at the very least, review this report and watch the Center for Medical Progress videos released last summer before vetoing the reconciliation legislation.”
In more than 40 years, never has a bill defunding abortion business like Planned Parenthood been sent to the president’s desk. This will be only the 8th time in his presidency that Barack Obama has exercised veto power.
The Susan B. Anthony List and its Political Action Committees, the SBA List Candidate Fund and Women Speak Out PAC, spent $15.25 million in the 2014 election cycle to defeat pro-abortion incumbents and elect pro-life candidates to federal and statewide office. The SBA List is dedicated to pursuing policies and electing candidates who will reduce and ultimately end abortion. To that end, the SBA List emphasizes the education, promotion, mobilization, and election of pro-life women. The SBA List is a network of more than 365,000 pro-life Americans nationwide.